Monday, April 14, 2008

Thing 18. YouTube & Other Online Video




The above is a video of my dog sledding adventure at the Lutsen Nordic Center in Jan. 2008. It was 30 below zero the day this was filmed. The ride was very fast as the dogs were fresh (we were the first ride of the day) and the snow was very hard and compact because of the cold. I was very proud of myself for editing the video and adding it to YouTube (it is actually 4 different videos added together using an Adobe video editor).

I am totally addicted to YouTube. When I go to that site, hours can go by without me noticing. One of the things that I really appreciate is the ability to see vintage footage of interviews with my favorite band and just about any music video I am interested in.

I also like the ability to share videos with my family and friends. It is so much easier to invite them to YouTube than to try to email or mail a DVD. There is an option to make your videos private and only allow those you choose to have access to them. Our new digital camera has video and we are using it a lot more than we anticipated.

As for library applications, there are several. Our library has a YouTube account for videos relevant to our library. For example, the short film contest winners are posted on our site. One of the most creative uses I have seen is the library YouTube video contest done by the Eden Prairie Library.



No comments: