Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thing 11. Tagging and Del.icio.us

I'm most excited about del.iciou.us so I will start with that. There are multiple computers in my life that I use. For the past few years, I have been exporting and importing my favorites since I can't live without them -- at lest on my work computer.



However, when my home computer crashed a couple weeks ago, I realized how truly frustrated I was as I moved from computer to computer to quickly get to the pages I wanted. Andy when I finally got my replacement and uploaded my favorites, I realized how old some of them were and how poor a job I have done in keeping them organized.



Yes, Google, makes it easy to find sites... but I am delighted to have now discovered delicious! As a selector for my library, I do collection work from a variety of computers -- my personal work computer, our shared public service desk computer, my home computer, my partner's computer, and occasionally other. With delicious, I now have my own personal portable bookmarks list. No time to file them? well the tagging helps me to bring them all together with no additional step.

I just got started with it, but I anticipate this will be a new addiction until I get it put together to my precise specifications.

Tagging. Subject classification anarchy is one of those things that is taking me a while to warm to. Perhaps it is the library school indoctrination of the need for controlled vocabulary. In the practical world, words do evolve and new terms come into common usage and (as my friend Sandy Berman frequently points out) Library of Congress if often very s - l - o - w to respond.


Yes, I want descriptive terms for content that match the way people think of concepts. So the idea of people entering their own terms is very valuable. However, there is nothing better than having a controlled vocabulary for bring all things on the same subject together. So this is one thing this old geezer will try to accomplish in her own tagging projects. I can't help but to want to tag items on the same subject in a consistent manner. At the same time I will try to open to anything that improves access to content.



No comments: