Monday, April 14, 2008

Thing 15: Libraries and Games



Unlike IBM libraries don't have to make money -- not even virtual money. However, they do have to justify to their stakeholders how they spend and invest money and library resources. I do appreciate the commercial in terms of putting into perspective our priorities and how we use limited resources as we develop programs and services. However, unlike the IBM lackey, Ohio State and Alliance Library System have adequately demonstrated the value of investing in the virtual world.

How wonderful to be able to offer services in this new virtual world where many of our patrons dwell. Also, we need some of our staff to be here as well to meet and serve our virtual patrons, but more importantly for the creativity that it fuels.

I personally am not interested in investing in a second life, my first one if more than full enough thank you very much, but I appreciated the opportunity to visit. I see value here. Still trying to figure out where it fits in our institution's priorities. I hope this experience has sparked the interest in staff though to keep in touch with it.

No comments: