Monday, April 14, 2008

Thing 17. ELM Productivity Tools

I am pleased to use the RSS features of the powerful databases of ELM. I rather like saving my search results and having them fed to me over the "Dig" popular media sites. This way the news that is pushed to me is exactly what I am interested in.

On the right hand side of my blog is my RSS feed for the search that I saved. As someone interested in Intellectual Freedom, I appreciate keeping up to date on how the USA Patriot Act affects libraries. Now I can keep up with recent news in the academic press -- an area that I don't typically mine unless I have a specific research need.

Although I have been faithfully using ELM since what seems like forever, I had never used the folder and web page options. I did create a very rudimentary web page and downloaded it. It is not my finest web work so I am not posting it here, but I appreciated learning about this quick and easy web tool.


P.S. I do hope that the legislation passes that insures all Minnesotans access to this important resource. The Legislative intent for this appropriation is to provide the best possible access to information resources across the educational spectrum (including K-12, higher education, state government and public libraries) on a statewide basis.

No comments: